With the temperature and humidity finally approaching seasonal conditions here is some good news for Hoboken residents looking to cool off this Summer….
This announcement from the City of Hoboken……
Effective immediately, Hoboken residents may use the Secaucus municipal pool at a reduced rate. The application form can be downloaded from the City website. The City thanks Mayor Gonnelli and the Town of Secaucus for making their pool available to Hoboken residents.
The pool at Hoboken High School will also be open to all residents from July 8 to August 21, Monday through Thursday from 11am to 5pm. “Mommy and Me” sessions will take place from 3pm to 5pm.
In addition, a new pool is being installed at the Boys and Girls Club which is expected to open in July.
“Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.”
Chances are some or most of you will know that is the motto of the Hunger Games, the novel turned movie blockbuster. I admit I read all 3 books in the trilogy and they’re pretty good. So this past Saturday morning I saw the Hunger Games in IMAX. It got me thinking…what are the coolest bar games in Hoboken? Well it took some serious research and web browsing, but here is my official list. Important caveat – this list is certainly not 100% complete and I will miss a pool table here or dart board here. Let’s face it – there are over 50 bars in Hoboken so if I missed something please add it in the comments. The goal is to keep this list ongoing and current for everyone.
Below is a “best of” list for the major games and then the full list below…
Rack ‘Em Up! (pool tables)
- DC’s – It’s a small bar and the pool table takes up most of the bar. But this looks like a place you should be playing pool
- Mulligans – Just one pool table, but it’s in the backroom with lots of space
- Willow Billards – It’s a pool hall. Need I say more? (Rumor is it is closing. Open one day and then bam! Like a pool stick to the head, no more pool?)
- Shannon – Multiple dart boards in the back room and regular leagues.
- Cork City – Two dart boards in the back of the bar with ample room and lighting.
- 8th Street Tavern - They have a Tuesday darts league and steady stream of dart players on other nights.
- Wicked Wolf – Wednesday night trivia. Good questions, big teams, fun prizes
- Mikie Squared – Smaller groups, but still fun team trivia.
- Marty O’Briens – Themed trivia on television shows and movies.
- Willie McBride’s - Trivia with Big Brother Star Adam Poch every Wednesday.
That’s a 3-Pointer! (Buck Hunter)
- Cork City – Right as you walk in. Where my obsession with the game started…
- 8th Street Tavern- They have the game too. Get in touch with your inner redneck and down some PBRs while shooting.
Bazinga! (Specialty Category)
- Bingo at Black Bear – Paired with their burger special it’s a fun way to spend your Wednesday
- Shuffleboard at Coopers Union – Only table in town and well worth it
- Everything at Willie McBride’s – They have arcade games, a poker night and mega touch
- Beer Pong at Scotland Yard – 3-4 beer pong tables. Come in buzzed, leave drunk…
How about it readers – where are you favorite game spots/what did I miss?
Me Hungry? No way! This Polar Bear is skipping the veggies today!
The Drunken Polar Bear
Beat the heat! The Hoboken High School Pool is now open for Hoboken residents in the month of August. From the City of Hoboken….
HIGH SCHOOL POOL OPEN FOR HOBOKEN RESIDENTS
The Hoboken High School pool will be open for free to Hoboken residents of all ages from 11am to 4pm, Monday through Friday from August 8th through August 26th. The high school is located at 800 Clinton Street. The pool will be used by the Hoboken High School Summer Camp from 1pm to 2pm, Monday through Thursday, from August 15th through 25th.