Happy Friday Hobokenites! Another week in the books and now it’s time to look ahead to the weekend. Unlike other local blogs, we here at TheBoken go the extra (square) mile and help you plan your weekend with more than just hyperlinks and unseasonable shorts wearing…..
Winds Strong enough to knock over a Drunken Polar Bear!
Although we warmed up a bit at the end of the week, Friday’s weather will be cooler (45 degrees), but characterized by heavy wind and gusts up to 45 mph! Batten down the hatches! Heavy winds will pass late Friday and pave the way for a calm and sunny weekend that will be a bit chilly. Highs Saturday and Sunday will be 41 and 38 with lows at night dipping slightly below the freezing mark.
Local Sports Action
Two BIG wins for the football teams last weekend and another slate of big games this weekend as both teams look to keep their playoff hopes alive:
- The Giants return home to square off in an important game against fellow NFC Easters, Washington Redskins at 1pm (Fox).
- The Jets face a difficult match up down I-95 against a banged up Michael Vick and the Eagles at 415pm (CBS).
Hockey updates – Devils host the visiting Dallas Stars Friday (8pm) and then travel up to Montreal for a Saturday night match up (7pm). The Rangers look to end their losing streak by traveling out to Phoenix for a Saturday night match up (8pm) against the Coyotes. The Islanders are also in action on Saturday night (8pm) against Minnesota.
What’s Going on Around Town?
- Wrap Your Gifts for a Good Cause – True Mentors will be featuring some of the best gift wrappers in Hoboken at Ben and Jerry’s and Hudson Tavern so you can just relax after all that holiday shopping. Donations for wrapping will go to support True Mentors matching children in Hoboken ages 7 – 17 with caring adult mentors in Hoboken.
- Mile Square Theater continues their run of the holiday classic – It’s a Wonderful Life
- Celebrate Hanukkah Hoboken Style – The Jewish Young Adults of Hoboken will be staging a Hanukkah party and bar crawl on Saturday kicking off at 5pm.
- Lights, Camera, Action – with the Golden Globe nominations coming out Thursday morning you may be inspired to hit the theaters. While Hoboken only movie theater Clearview Cinemas may not be playing any Globe nominees this weekend, Sherlock Holmes 2 and Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked premier this weekend. And a personal favorite, The Muppets, is still playing too!
DPB’s Weekend Recommendations – 2 this week!
- It’s the dreaded last week before Christmas and everyone is scrambling to hit the malls or rush online orders in time. Why not make it easier and shop local? Hit the Washington Street stretch and you can catch tons of stores and really good sales.
- The holidays aren’t all about shopping. There are some wonderful decorations from large scale (Rockefeller Tree) to smaller (houses decorated). Take some time this weekend and walk around Hoboken with a warm cup of coffee/hot chocolate and check out the great decorations. A personal favorite – the uptown brownstones on Bloomfield.
What are you all doing this weekend? Any suggestions?
- The Drunken Polar Bear