Mile Square Theatre presents the MST Fall Performance Fest, a cornucopia of theatre and comedy.
Mile Square Theatre, Hudson County’s leading professional theatre, announces the MST Fall Performance Fest, a series that offers an exciting, eclectic blend of affordable entertainment, running select evenings at the Monroe Theaterspace from September 29 to October 14.
Matt Lawler, MST’s Associate Artistic Director and the producer of the series along with company members Jen Ring and Anne Teutschel, says, “We’ve been able to attract some top notch events for the festival including Lizz Winstead, who co-created The Daily Show and Michael Walker, whose piece Bubba is already sold out at the upcoming NYC United Solo Festival. And MST company members will present readings of plays, including a reading of Joseph Gallo’s (My Italy Story) newest work.”
All events are affordably priced. Also offered is a Fest All Access Pass. For $20, patrons can have access to all Fest events!
- Michael Walker will perform his one- man show Bubba, a story about a son trying to uncover the truth about who is father was and how he died, before taking it to NYC`s United Solo Festival.
- Henry`s Law, by Stacie Lents, an anti- bullying play developed at Fairleigh Dickinson University and featuring FDU students, this touring comedy will appeal to middle-schoolers on up.
Staged readings of plays by MST Company Members:
- Medal of Honor Rag by Tom Cole based on the true story of Dwight Johnson, a Medal of Honor recipient for valor in the Vietnam War who was killed in Detroit while holding up a convenient store. The evening will feature a talkback by MST actor, Vietnam Vet, and Hoboken resident Ralph DeMatthews about posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Mama Drama by Leslie Ayvasian, Donna Daley, Christine Farrell, Rita Nachtmann, and Ann Sachs. A hilarious and touching play about Motherhood, follows five friends through their very distinct and profound experiences. The Cleveland Plain Dealer called Mama Drama startling, funny, frank, and absolutely true…full of laughter and tears.
- And a surprise play to be announced soon!
- Lizz Free or Die. with Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead. Lizz Winstead, co-creator of The Daily Show, and friends present a hilarious and stimulating evening of readings, humor, and dialogue. Author and comedian Lizz Winstead will share excerpts from her acclaimed new book Lizz Free or Die, give her comic take on this crazy election, answer questions and make you laugh. In this brilliant collection of essays, Winstead vividly recounts how she fought to find her own voice, both as a comedian and as a woman, and how humor became her most powerful weapon in confronting life’s challenges.
- Group Sets. Comedy with Benefits, a variety night of sketch, improv. and standup from the funniest acts around with The Final Edition Live (Spinal Tap, National Lampoon), Team Submarine (Mr. Show reunion), Reformed Whores (TimeOut Chicago) and more. Group Sets will make you feel good with laughter.
Saturday, September 29, 8pm $5
Staged Reading: New York City 523 by Joseph Gallo. This is a reading of Joseph Gallo’s (My Italy Story) newest play.
Synopsis: Joy, wants nothing more than to be a dancer, but she finds that in the Big Apple, dreams die hard … literally. An impressionistic whodunit that looks at events both real and imagined.
Sunday, September 30, 7pm $12
Lizz Free or Die—with Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead
Wednesday, October 3, 7:30pm $5
Staged Reading: Mama Drama by Leslie Ayvazian, Donna Daley, Christine Farrell, Rita Nachtmann, and Ann Sachs
Directed by MST company member Charlie Kevin (MST`s God of Carnage) and featuring Mara DeMey Lawler, Patricia Buckley MST`s (God of Carnage), and Wendy Eaton. Join us for a drink and a reading of a touching and hilarious play about Motherhood. Mama Drama follows five friends through their very distinct and profound experiences.
Friday, October 5, 8pm $10
Bubba, written and performed by Michael Walker
A one-man show with music written and performed by the dynamic Michael Walker, Bubba is the hilarious and moving true story of a son`s quest to understand the complicated and tragic life of his father.
Saturday October 6, 8pm $15
Group Sets – Comedy with Benefits
MST brings you a variety night of sketch, improv. and stand-up from the funniest acts around with The Final Edition Live (Spinal Tap, National Lampoon), Murderfist (Village Voice – Best Sketch Group), Team Submarine (Mr. Show reunion), Reformed Whores (TimeOut Chicago) and more.
Sunday, October 7, 7pm $5
Staged Reading: Medal of Honor Rag by Tom Cole.
Directed by Matthew Lawler, and featuring Vietnam veteran and MST company member Ralph DeMatthews, Medal of Honor Rag is a two-character play based on the true story of Dwight Johnson, a black soldier who won the Medal of Honor for valor in combat and was shot and killed by police in 1971 while holding up a Detroit convenience store. Mr. DeMatthews will lead a discussion about post traumatic stress syndrome following the reading.
Monday, October 8, 7pm $12 General Admission/ $6 Student/Seniors
Henry`s Law by Stacie Lents
University-sponsored reception to follow.
Fairleigh Dickinson University presents an original anti-bullying project. This touring comedy is performed by current FDU students and offers a great opportunity for high schoolers and their parents to engage in the ongoing conversation about this serious issue.
Wednesday, October 10, 7:30pm, $5
Staged Reading: TBD
A surprise play directed by Associate Artistic Director Matthew Lawler!
About Lizz Winstead:
As co-creator and former head writer of The Daily Show and Air America Radio co-founder, Lizz Winstead is one of the top political satirists in America. As a performer, Lizz brought her political wit to The Daily Show as a Correspondent and later to the radio waves co-hosting Unfiltered, Air America Radio’s mid morning show, where she brought on board Hip Hop legend Chuck D and political big brain Rachel Maddow.
“Invigorating, infuriating, and hilarious.”— Patton Oswalt
“Searching and lively … and moving.”— The New York Times
“Hilarious collection of very personal essays.”—Sarah Silverman
About Group Sets:
Sketch Comedy from The Final Edition Live (http://TheFinalEdition.com), Murderfist (http://murderfist.com/), Team Submarine (http://teamsubmarine.net/), Reformed Whores (http://www.reformedwhores.com/), and more! Stand up, improv, and then some, will keep you laughing and feeling good all night long.
The Final Edition is sizzling satire in the tradition of National Lampoon, Spinal Tap, Spy Magazine and South Park. With contributors from Comedy Central, The Onion, NPR, it’s a website, a radio show, a live event, a production house, and a mad dream. The whole insane thing is led by veteran satirist, original editor of National Lampoon, Editor-in-Chief of Spy and star of Spinal Tap (band manager Ian Faith), Tony Hendra. “Nihilistic and deeply silly.”—Vanity Fair, “Funny juggernauts.”—The Atlantic
Murderfist is going to get loud and get weird and our comedy may just help the pain of being alive. Winner of the 2010 ECNY Award for Best Sketch Comedy Group and named by the Village Voice as the “Best Sketch Comedy Group in New York.”
Reformed Whores is what you get when you combine an accordion, a ukulele, and two southern belles who’ve washed away their sins but forgot to rinse out their mouths. The musical comedy duo can’t quite clean up their act in this knee slapping, toe tapping, hoedown. “Very funny.”—Time Out Chicago
Team Submarine puts a new twist on the classic two-man act. Featured at the Just For Laughs comedy festival, part of the Mr. Show reunion event, and nominated for an ECNY award, these geniuses are two of comedy’s hottest rising stars.
About Mile Square Theatre
Mile Square Theatre (MST) is the leading professional Equity theatre in Hudson County. Since 2003, MST has presented full-scale productions for adults and children, in addition to providing theatre education programs. Under the artistic direction of Chris O’Connor, MST receives support from The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation and the Hudson County Division of Cultural Affairs. For company information, please visit www.milesquaretheatre.org.