TheBoken Received this note from Tom Chartier on Hoboken’s New Single Stream Recycling Plan. Read on…..
Hoboken recently changed to a single stream recycling program. The main benefits of this new program are:
1. Plastics labelled 1 through 7 are now accepted.
2. Recyclables can now be mixed together in the same bin, allowing for pickup twice per week for all recyclables on Tuesday and Thursday.
3. The city’s fees for waste hauling are reduced and annual revenue from recycling is increased.
4. Significantly less material will end up in a landfill.
The anticipated annual revenue from recycling in Hoboken is approximately $200,000. The new recycling flyer provides guidelines which must be followed and is available at www.hobokennj.org/departments/environmental-services/recycling-garbage.
By following the guidelines on the flyer, this annual revenue can be increased; by not following the guidelines, such as including plastic bags, revenue is reduced by 30% or more. To help ease our transition, please take note of the following:
- All recyclables should be placed directly in a bin, NOT in plastic bags. This also means NO plastic bags of any kind. Several local supermarkets and grocers have bins near their entrances and exits for recycling plastic bags.
- Residents, condo boards and management companies can request a meeting with the Department of Environmental Services to discuss the new program and voice any concerns by emailing email@example.com
- Blue recycling bins are available for free at the Department of Environmental Services, located in the municipal garage on Willow Avenue, at the corner of Observer Highway. Please bring proof of residency to obtain your free bin(s).
- Failure to follow the guidelines will eventually result in a monetary fine. The city is currently providing a grace period for the next couple months, during which fines will be waived.
The QLC’s Committee for a Green Hoboken is working with the City to promote awareness of the new program and help with education and outreach to make this new program a success and work out any kinks. Please feel free to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chairman, QLC’s Committee for a Green Hoboken