Drunken Polar Bear’s The Hoboken Weekend Ahead – Feb 10th – 12th
Happy Friday Hobokenites! After a few weekends off and a Giant Superbowl victory, your weekend update is finally back! We at TheBoken.com will continue to do the research and find the cool things around town, but if you have any suggestions please post them in the comments below.
Well this Polar Bear (and most other forecasters) were certainly wrong when we predicted a snowy winter. To date, we are far below snowfall totals and January 2012 was one of the warmest on record for many states. That’s going to change a little bit this weekend…
A storm front from the south, lake effect snow from the Midwest and Arctic front from Canada are all going to descend on the Northeast this weekend bringing cold, wind and snow. Exact predictions still depend on the storm track, but Hoboken should get 2-3 inches of snow starting around 2am Saturday and snowing throughout most of the day. There’s opportunity for more snow, but right now the bulk (3-6 inches) will be off to the east.
Local Sports Action
Now that football is over we enter that sports vacuum between the Superbowl and start of baseball season. But there’s always hockey!
Hockey updates – The Rangers take on the evil thug Flyers Saturday (1pm). The Devils also have Saturday afternoon game hosting the Florida Panthers (1pm). The Islanders host LA Kings Saturday afternoon (1pm) and Florida Panthers Sunday afternoon (3pm).
What’s Going on Around Town?
- Jersey Girls! – No, not the class Bruce song – it’s your favorite tanned ladies – Snooki and JWOWW. You know by now that Hoboken said no to them living here and they’ve moved to Jersey city, but I’ve got more. This Polar Bear has heard rumors they will be filming in the area soon. Where do you think they’ll go? A hint is below….
It is also rumored but not yet confirmed that they might be staying at36 Mercer Street Jersey city for the shooting of their spinoff.
Lights, Camera, Action A great movie lineup at Hoboken’s movie theater Clearview Cinemas this weekend – Safe House, The Vow, Star Wars I in 3D, the Artist and the Grey. Click Here for movie showtimes.
- Celebrate at the HoHa Snowball Saturday with live music and great local food.
Music to My Ears
- A True Story plays Wicked Wolf Friday night.
- Maxwell’s has a big lineup this weekend.
- Craig Graham and his jazz guitar bring your music from Beatles to Bach at the Pilsner House Sunday Brunch.
DPB’s Weekend Recommendations – Speed Edition
- Make sure you have snow supplies (shovel, salt, boots, etc.) to dig out this weekend. Shop local at City Paint and Ace Hardware at 130 Washington Street or Hoboken Paint and Hardware 316 Washington Street instead of Home Depot for basic supplies. This help keep retail on Washington Street vibrant when you avoid big box retail.
- Check out the newly complete walking, running path on the north side of town that now connects Hoboken and Weehawken
- Try one of the many new restaurants in town that have opened in the last few months like Sol Caribe on Washington Street…
- Discover a good new book. Click here for the Hoboken Reader’s Circle book list fro this winter and spring.
- Get ready for Valentine’s Day! Here are some of the specials being offered in Hoboken: http://theboken.com/theboken-specials/
What are you all doing this weekend? Any suggestions? Share yor thoughts in the comments below….
- The Drunken Polar Bear