Updates from a resident on Hoboken Hurricane Sandy Recovery
Hudson Street News, 2nd issue - updates from a resident on Hurricane Sandy Recovery efforts in Hoboken….
Remember that Cash is King. Most services require cash because of lack of power or phone service.
- NYC Info – 2012 NY Marathon is canceled.
- Lincoln Tunnel Open. 126 Bus is close to running to regular schedule to Port Authority in NY. If you drive there is a 3 person capacity required during the day.
- NY Waterway are running ferries from 14St to 48th Street NYC. Their buses take you in to the city streets. Some as far as Madison.
- All Manhattan buses are running. Subway above 32nd Street is running. The 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, A, D, F, M, N.
- WATER: The tap water is safe to drink. Water tanks are available at 1st St & Washington St and 315 Hudson St. Bring your own container.
- FOOD: The A&P, Target Jersey City, downtown CVS, uptown Rite Aid, Kings, Aspen Market, Basic, and other stores are reopening. Food trucks with free meals are at Church Square Park, 3rd St & Washington St, and other locations throughout the city. Elks Club (10th & Washington) is serving food.
- ICE: Free ice is available at PSE&G comfort center at Washington St & Observer Hwy.
- GARBAGE: Trash is being picked up. Damaged furniture can be left at curb. Separate white goods (appliances) into separate pile. They must be recycled.
- GAS: Conserve fuel – statewide fuel shortage. Hess on Boulevard East in Weehawken is open.
- ATMs: Observer Hwy & Bloomfield St, Hudson & 4th
- BUS: A free shuttle (school bus) will run continuously up and down Washington St (9am-5pm).
Store and Food Open - Hours open when and supplies not sure ofVS have some fresh food and are getting daily deliveries.
- A&P takes credit and debit cards and cash. You cannot take out cash. Clinton and 7th will be getting deliveries.
- Aspen Market on Third and Washington is open.
- 7 Star Pizza at 4th & Garden open.
- Empire Coffee 4th & Bloomfield.
- Benny Tudino’s Pizza Washington Street.
- Court Street at 6th.
- David Antony 10 and Bloomfield.
- Sasso’s Open on 11th and Garden.
- Johnny Perperroni on 11th & Park.
- Karma Kafe on Washington Street has been open throughout most of Sandy’s aftermath, selling $1 coffees outside.
- Mamoun’s Falafel is serving a limited menu.
- Natural Plus, across from City Hall, is open.
- Margarita’s, Napolis, and Vito’s Deli on Washington St are open.
- Amanda’s served free food.
- The Brass Rail is running on a back up generator and is serving food and drinks.
- Sunshine Deli on Third and Garden is open.
- There are other business that are open but I have no other info.
Many recharging stations are located on Hudson from 4 to 11. 11 Hudson to Clinton also 10 to 12 Hudson to Clinton. Some serve coffee. Please be nice by keeping the area clean and orderly. Sts Peter and Paul on 4th & Hudson is open daily from 7am until 10pm for people to go charge. and coffee.
FEMA agents wearing FEMA Jackets are on the streets of Hoboken. They flew to Philly, drove Here. Newark Airport was closed at the time..
Shelter locations are: Wallace School (11th & Willow), Sts Peter & Paul (4th & Hudson), St Matthews (8th & Washington).
There is a statewide gas shortage because of a lack of power for the pumps. However if you ger on the turnpike heading to philly no problems I have been told.
Due to the conditions caused by Hurricane Sandy, the Clerk’s Office will operate extended hours, so that voters may collect a Vote By Mail ballot and submit it without going to the polls.
Extended Election Office Hours will be :.Sat., Nov 3, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Sun., Nov 4, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Mon., Nov 5, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Power On- – - - Info from self postings on Google map at Hoboken Sandy Power Map
Madison St (Newark-2nd, & 3rd)
1st Street (Madison-Willow, Adams St (Newark-1st), Newark St (Adams-Grand), Willow Ave (1st-5th), Clinton St (2nd-3rd), Garden St (1st-6th) 4th St (Garden – Willow) , 6th St (Washington-Clinton), Park Ave (5th-6th) , 5th St (Willow – Bloomfield), Bloomfield Av (3rd-7th), Hudson St (4th-11th), 11th St (Bloomfield – Willow), Sky Club, Jackson t (1st-3rd, Bloomfield (Corner of Observer), (Park b/ween 2&3), (6th & Adams), (608 2nd St),
607 Garden St, ,3rd St (Willow – Clinton), (1st St & Monroe St), (Elizabeth Building 3rd & Garden), 14th and Park, Bloomfield (Corner of Observer)
Castle Point Terrace, Edwin A Stevens (River & 5th)
The Federal Government has a website that allows people to apply for assistance online: http://www.disasterassistance.gov/ . This website consolidates the application process across several Federal agencies, including FEMA and the Small Business Administration. The website also reduces the number of forms you will ultimately have to fill out, shortens the time it takes to apply, and allows you to check the progress of your applications online. kIf you want to apply by phone rather than the Internet, you can call 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362).