Happy Friday Hobokenites! The holidays are over, some Christmas decorations are still up, but it’s back to the daily grind for most of us. We at TheBoken.com will continue to do the research and find the cool things around town, but if you have any suggestions please post them in the comments below with hyperlinks if you can.
Brrrrr – it was a arctic start to the week and we have warmed up beyond January averages. That warming trend will continue today (high 48) and tomorrow (high 51!) before Sunday starts a trend of low-mid 40’s and sun for the foreseeable future. It may be good news to some, but I am a little disappointed we haven’t seen any snow!
Local Sports Action
The Giants stormed into the playoffs with a clutch win over the Cowboys last Sunday night. They square off against the surging Atlanta Falcons in the Wild Card round Sunday at 1pm (FOX). For those heading to local bars, get there early if you want a seat. Other game include CIN vs. HOU (Sat 430 on NBC), DET vs. NO (Sat 8pm on NBC) & PIT vs. DEN (Sun 4pm on CBS). Theboken.com will be hosting a live blog as well. Go to http://theboken.com/nyg-vs-atl-live-blog-1-8-2012/ to join in the commentary at 12:45pm this Sunday.
Hockey updates – Coming off a HUGE win against those dirty Flyers in the Winter Classic and a win last night against the Panthers, our first place Rangers travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Penguins tonight at 7. Devils host the Panthers tonight (8pm) and then travel to Pittsburgh for a Saturday night match-up against the Penguins (7pm). The Islanders are at Anaheim tonight (10pm) and Phoenix tomorrow (8pm)
What’s Going on Around Town?
- Scotch, Scotch, Scotch – No, it’s not Ron Burgundy time, but Northern Soul (557 First St) is having a Scotch Tasting at 4pm on Saturday. For a good price ($30) you get to sample 4 scotches, a specialty of your choice and learn about various scotch regions and how this wonderful spirit is made.
- Free Rabies Vaccines for Your Dog/Cat – although Hoboken is an urban area your pets still have a chance of contracting rabies from rabid animals. Prevent that with a quick and FREE rabies shot. You don’t want your pooch to turn into this….
- I’m Working on My Fitness – Looking for an excuse to join a gym or just switch gym memberships? Almost all gyms have New Years deals worth checking out and Saturday is a great time to check out a potential new gym.
- Music to My Ears – quite a few bars will have live music tonight and this weekend
- The Clam Broth House has live Jazz every Friday and Saturday from 8-12pm.
- Maxwell’s hosts the Killing Horse Record Anniversary Spectacular Friday.
- Whiskey Bar hosts The Crazy 88’s Friday night and Garden State Radio Saturday night.
DPB’s Weekend Recommendations – 2 this week!
- Enjoy what may be our last gasp at non-freezing temperatures for a few weeks and get outside on Saturday. With a sunny high of 51, it’s a great time to take a long walk, run or get together with a group of friends for a pickup football game. Take a long stroll down the waterfront to check out the piers. My personal favorite is to get up early (while the partiers are still sleeping off the booze) and grab a cup of coffee sandwich and sit outside one of the coffee shops and people watch.
- WAR HORSE – during the break I took my Dad to see this movie because it was his type of beautiful shot John Ford war epic. I can easily say it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Great story, great acting, great photography. It’s playing at the Hoboken movie theater all weekend and worth checking out.
For Hoboken’s Clearview Cinemas schedule this weekend to see War Horse or any other movie playing there go to: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?exid=CLE&house_id=20391
What are you all doing this weekend? Any suggestions?
- The Drunken Polar Bear