Update July 2,2012:
Please note that the cover for the 4th of July event will be $10 from 12pm-3pm and after 3pm it’s $20 at Pier 13. This new venue will be open regularly after the 4th of July so this is not a one time event. Some people had inquired to TheBoken.com. The festivities start at 12pm. The fireworks will be around or after 9pm or so.
Original Post June 16th, 2012:
Pier 13, a new Beer Garden on an uptown Pier in Hoboken is having their grand opening July 4th, just in time for the Macy’s Fireworks display. This new venture is headed up by Darren Conway and Rebecca Tarantino from the Chandelier Room. The location is 1301 Sinatra Drive and it is the Pier that is just South of the New York Waterways Ferry on 14th Street.
They will have the following offerings as part of outdoor bar experience…
- Great views of NYC (of course).
- Rotating Food Trucks such as Luke’s Lobster, The Taco Truck, Shorty’s, Eat at Crisp, Max’s Hot Dogs and Amanda’s Bananas with possibly even more on the way. They will be on a rotational basis.
- An American Craft beer selection run this year from a beer truck.
- Mixed drinks and bottled beers.
- Frozen drinks including margaritas, coladas, daiquiris, and frozen lemonade.
- A kids section in the front for the stroller crowd and over 21 area where alcohol will be served. The owners are trying to encourage an atmosphere where all are welcome but the adults can still play as well.
- Location next to the ferry could mean that is becomes a happy hour destination
The Grand opening for Pier 13 will start at 12pm and feature guest DJs Dalton, Chachi and Raphael Valentino. This will be an ideal place to watch the fireworks as the show is on the Hudson again this year.
Editor’s Note: The logo for this new Beer Garden is P13R and is more a play on words than an homage to sci-fi and Star Wars fans of R2D2. Geeks will be certainly welcome due to their disposable incomes but it should be noted that the name of the establishment is Pier 13 and not P-1-3-R. But what is in a name anyway? Branding is important but good food and drink and service even more so. Here is wishing Darren and Rebecca luck in their new venture. When I met with them they seemed very excited about the possibilities. In addition the few people I talked after finding out about this were also enthused, especially about the craft beers and the over 21 years of age section. Nothing like TheBoken.com being a mini-focus group. Ha ha.
Below is a view from Pier 13 of the New York City skyline including the Empire State Building. Imagine kicking back with a few American craft beers with your buddies and this view. You will be able to imagine soon enough.